Friday, November 20, 2015

First Snow = Chili!

We had our first snow tonight and the cold temps made me hungry for chili.

When it comes to chili, I am a purist. My recipe is simple and I don't intend to change it. Ever.

I don't know if I've ever felt like making any other kind of chili. I can appreciate white chicken chili, sweet potato chili or any of the other variations out there, and some of them are quite good, but I don't choose to cook them.

This is the recipe my Mom made and the recipe my kids will grow up eating.

Seriously, the hardest thing about this recipe is cutting up an onion. And it doesn't lack for flavor, I promise! The spices in this recipe reflect the fact that I want my kids to be able to eat it. Want it spicier? Add some peppers or more chili powder.

If you are reading this in the midwest you should think about throwing on a pot for dinner tomorrow. It is the perfect meal to warm you up after playing in the snow.

It can simmer for 20 minutes or 2 hours and be just as good.

My Mom's Chili
1 lb ground meat (pork, beef or turkey)
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 can chili beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can stewed tomatoes
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp garlic powder

Cook the onion and ground meat in a large stew pot. Drain if necessary. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then turn to low heat. Cover and let simmer until ready to eat. It is best when simmered at least 20 minutes.


1 comment:

  1. I think simple is best when it comes to chili. We like to put some salsa in ours because I like it extra tomatoey!

    ReplyDelete